Followers

WELCOME

Welcome to the Order of the Opus Gluei!!!

New challenges every two weeks and open to YOUR interpretation - all art forms are welcome!

Come and play with us!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Challenge #42 - Asian Motivation

This post is delayed for the announcement of the winner of last weeks drawing.
11 of you talents folks played along with our Red, White and Pink theme, and
The WINNER is DIANE.
Woohoo. Please send an email to jdeegs @ cox . net (without the spaces) letting us know what your address is and we'll get that wonderful magazine out to you.


*****************

Now, back to our regularly scheduled post....



Chinese New Year is here. And we thought it would be fun to see what we could do with an Asian Theme.


It's the YEAR of the TIGER.


So we are relaxing our theme a bit to allow Tigers along with anything Asian. Cuz we're cool like that.


Rosemary here: I was thinking at first that I wanted to do a card and then I realized I really need a bookmark for all the reading I've been doing recently. So I pulled out my good old Asian-themed stamp and made myself a colorful and substantial bookmark that will keep me from using old receipts and magazine subscription cards - and I found these cool metal embellishments in my stash!

This is a card I made a while back using this same stamp. I love this stamp and its versatility (may have to break out of the red/black/white/gold streak of using this stamp!)
Jana here: I don't know what came over me. I wasn't even drinking Sake. Maybe I should have. Anyway, I have had this really cool fabric in my stash. And thought,



"Hmmm, I need another bag/tote. (like I need another hole in my head).


and I bet that fabric would look really nice as a bag/tote."




I should have put a bit more thought into it. It didn't turn out disgusting. BUT, there are some problems. For instance, it isn't finished. I dragged my daughters to Joann's to get some grommets, because I want to make this a draw string bag. Well, I got the grommets (and a few other things - DUH) BUT, I didn't get the grommet setter. Oh, I tried to use the tools I have on hand. Cuz I'm impatient that way. They only distorted the grommets. Now I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get back there so I can finish this bag/tote. Okay, that was the first issue. Second issue is that I didn't use a pattern. Just kind of winged it. So, I ended up ripping out a few feet of stitching. AND I wasn't paying attention and the fish and kitties are upside down. Oops. (And Yes, I realize this fabric is a Japanese motif, but we DID say Asian. Even if it is Chinese New Year. Go figure.)

I DID make the handle oversized. I usually complain that the handles on my bag/totes aren't long enough. The handle on this little number is 38 glorious inches long. And I lined the bag/tote with a very pretty red fabric. So it's a happy bag/tote. I'll wait to post on my blog until I get the grommets in place and the cording threaded. So check over there in a few days.










I think it's a cool bag/tote even with it's "issues".





I am going to enjoy carrying this around.




NOW SHOW US YOUR ASIAN FLAIR.

11 comments:

1CardCreator said...

Yay! Thank you! I am so glad you liked my card! Take care, Diane

Kristen H said...

Congrats, Diane! WOO HOO! Way to go!

Heather said...

Here's my attempt at Asian flare
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DRgJwBEij-U/S34TNLZqc1I/AAAAAAAAADA/4x8Fcz4Nss0/s1600-h/DSC_0002.JPG

Electra said...

Lucky you, Diane, you're definietly going to Enjoy this pretty bag! congrtulations!

Electra said...

I've gotten my submission done, although some may view it as irreverent. I had fun doing it and that's what it's all about right? You can see it here
Thanks for another fun and most challenging challenge, honourable Poobashs. :-))

Chat Noir said...

Got a bit carried away as you'll see... This was nothing like I had in my head, it just happened.

http://blackcatsmiaow.blogspot.com/2010/02/opus-gluei-42-asian-motivation.html

Jessica G. said...

Although I have an amazing appetite for Asian cuisine, those tastes must not extend to my stamping world -- I had to use a WRAK image for my card:

http://jessobsession.blogspot.com/2010/02/asian-influence.html

Thanks for expanding my stamping horizons! And making me really hungry for sushi....

for2nately said...

Hey there ladies!
Here's my try at Asian Motivation-the bamboo look counts right? :)
http://thefortunatestamper.blogspot.com/2010/02/3-challenges-in-1-card.html
Hugs,
elizabeth

Margaret T said...

so diverse all unique and pretty! I love the cards!

GP from swapbot

Deena said...

Here is my attempt: http://adeenacard.blogspot.com/2010/02/project-365-30-asian-motivation-42.html . Hope you like it.

Deena

1CardCreator said...

Thank you for all the good wishes above everyone, much appreciated.
here. is my attempt at Asian. Thanks again, this is so much fun to play along. Take care, ~Diane